Image Source: https://www.accountingday.org/
Happy Accounting Day everyone! Break out the party hats, noisemakers and streamers and get ready to party like it’s 1099. (My apologies to the late Prince for the bad tax-related pun at his expense.)
Today marks the 45th annual acknowledgement of accounting and finance professionals and the vital roles they play in the business world. Thought to have started with the California Society of CPAs in 1972 (or the Institute of Management Accountants, no one seems to know for sure), Accounting Day was established to encourage young people to pursue careers in accounting. From the official AccountingDay.org website:
The purpose of Accounting Day is to promote the accounting profession, to provide an opportunity for networking among accountants in public practice, industry, and government, and to provide quality continuing education for attendees.
What started humbly as a way to encourage future leaders to become accountants has morphed over the years into a full-blown event complete with continuing education, speakers, exhibitors and probably a post-program networking event that involves lots of alcohol. Though the official named event is primarily attended and presented by accounting and finance professionals and related groups local to Southern California (where the Accounting Day program takes place), there’s no reason that other accounting professionals the world over can’t participate in their own celebratory ways! Here are our suggestions:
- Break room root beer pong (can substitute other beverages as approved by management)
- Managing Partner duck-duck-goose
- Musical rolling chairs with lumbar support
- Accounting Day-themed CPE with a sign-in sheet outside the door so everyone can sign it and pretend they attended
- Treats table that includes aspirin, coffee, donuts and a fruit tray that no one will touch
- IRS logo-shaped pinata filled with post-its, white-out and pencils (unsharpened is recommended)
Happy Accounting Day to one and all! How will you celebrate? Let us know in the comments below.